Terrors See Off Brave Horley

Article by Official TMUFC

Tooting edged themselves into the 1st Qualifying round draw of this season’s Emirates FA Cup with a narrow victory over Horley Town last night at the Campus Society Stadium.

The first quarter of an hour or so was fairly even with both sides looking to play long balls from the back into the channels on either wing. It was the visitors who struck first though when they won themselves a free kick after 20 minutes, two thirds of the way into the Terrors’ half, out on the left hand side. The ball was sent in long and deep towards the back post by Russell Harvey. Just when it seemed that he’d over hit it, it dropped down, having already gone over the head of Terrors’ ‘keeper Liam Sallis, struck the upright, and bounced back into the goal. After this setback it took the Terrors another ten minutes before they began to settle again and start to play their passing game. They drew level though on 36 minutes after Isaiah Jones was brought down after one of several mazy runs into the visitors’ penalty area. Billy Dunn stepped up to take the kick and calmly slotted it past George Hyde in the Horley goal. Tooting now looking more confident, continued to press, and on 44 minutes, after a neat interchange between Peter Wedgeworth and Dominic Morgan-Griffiths, the ball was played into the edge of the Horley 6 yard box where it was met by a glancing header from Billy Dunn. Although Hyde managed to get two hands to the ball as he dove low down to his left, he was unable to steer it wide of the post, as Ramble Inn Man of the Match, Dunn, claimed his, and Tooting’s second of the game.

The Terrors started the second half a lot more brightly than they had the first however despite continuing to pass the ball well and create a couple of half chances they were unable to add to their tally. The closest they came was about 5 minutes from time, when substitute Zaq Coleman broke clear, rounded the ‘keeper, but from a tight angle, saw his effort rebound of the post. The visitors pressed strongly in the closing exchanges for the goal that would take the game back to The New Defence for a replay however the Terrors held firm and now await next week’s draw to see who they’ll face in the next round.