Big Spending Billericay Too Good For Tooting

Article by Official TMUFC

Tooting’s early joy soon turned to dismay this afternoon as Billericay came from behind to take a commanding grip on the game in the opening 45 minutes.

The game started positively enough for Tooting after winning a free kick on 6 minutes out to their right. The ball was floated in towards the far edge of the 6 yard box by Peter Wedgeworth where it was met by the head of the unmarked Dominic Morgan-Griffiths who guided a well placed header past Alan Julian in the Billericay goal to put Tooting one up. However, ten minutes later, Billericay were level after Danny Waldren pulled away to the edge of the 6 yard box to head home a corner out on Tooting’s right. And two minutes later the visitors were in front when Rob Swaine drove home from the edge of the box after Tooting had failed to clear their lines. Three minutes later, on 21 minutes, Billericay hit their third in five minutes when Jake Robinson converted from the spot after Tope Fadahunsi was adjudged to have committed a foul. The game was all but sewn up on 39 minutes when Jake Robinson got his second, and Billericay’s fourth on 39 minutes.

A double substitution by the Terrors at half time saw them revert to a more familiar formation with the introduction of two wide players missing from the first half set up. Whilst Billericay had already done their job, the second half saw a much more spirited performance from Tooting, with Isaiah Jones in particular giving the Billericay back line a little more to think about. However Billericay were clinical and on 65 minutes Jake Robinson completed his hat trick following a period of intense pressure from Tooting. The Terrors were finally rewarded for their second half effort when Peter Wedgeworth scored from the penalty spot on 83 minutes after Isaiah Jones had been brought down. However despite further pressure on the Billericay goal it was all too little too late and the visitors rounded things off in the final minute with a long range strike from Danny Waldren to round off the scoring. 

Photo credit: Sam Conquest