Sutton Too Good For Eastleigh At Gander Green Lane

Article by Johnnie Lowery

Producing another solid performance Sutton fully deserved their win against Eastleigh and subsequent return to the top of the National League table on Saturday afternoon.

It’s fair to say the early exchanges were scrappy, the visitors’ first chance coming after a defensive mix-up allowed Zebroski a chance to beat Butler to the ball, but he couldn’t do enough to force the ball over the line. It was in the scrappy fashion of the early exchanges of the game that U’s took the lead 13 minutes in, Tom Bolarinwa dispossessing defender Callum Howe and finishing calmly past veteran keeper Graham Stack. From this point Sutton looked to get on top, with good work from Bolarinwa on the flank creating a great opportunity for Kieron Cadogan, but his effort from close range was saved with the rebound from Kenny Davis deflected wide from a corner. Nicky Bailey also went close, his 30 yard freekick well tipped over, before Lafayette fired just over after a long ball forward fell for him. Right on half time a Cadogan effort from the edge of the box hit a raised Eastleigh arm, but surprisingly nothing was given by referee Sam Purkiss.

Paul Doswell’s men looked to press home their advantage early in the second half, a Dan Spence cross finding Cadogan at the far post but the winger was only able to fire over under pressure. From this point onwards the game lost a bit of its energy but Sutton always looked comfortable in managing the game, Jamie Butler not once called into action. Any natural nerves that may have been fluttering about were brought under control again with 10 minutes to go when Tommy Wright got on the end of a Lafayette flick on to fire a delicious lob over Stack and seal the deal for Sutton. Eastleigh did push and Mark Yeates finally managed to test Jamie Butler with a long range shot, but that was as far as the danger went with U’s seeing out the game comfortably to go top at the final whistle.